Friday, September 21, 2007

the Gnome I love to hate

About a year ago I went to the local Borders store that was in the process of liquidating their inventory--on account of the building was about to be torn down. While I was there I happened upon a cute little lawn gnome smiling out of his cellophane package. He seemed to be saying "Please take me with you. I'd be SO happy living in your cubicle."

So I forked over the $10.00 and rescued the little guy from his bookstore bondage.

I get him to my desk and out of his package -- and faster than you can say Rumplestiltskin, the little guy turns on me -- No longer is he the cute smiling gnome from the bookstore, but an annoying presence. he just stood there staring at me with his wee beady eyes, looking smug as he stood there on his 4X5 inch square of astro turf. He was promptly dubbed GJerry the GJerky GLawn Gnome...the name fit.

I tried putting him behind my monitor, in a far corner of my desk, but his eyes were ever peering at me. It's very hard to concentrate on much of anything with someone constantly staring at you--it's like having someone read over your shoulder...you know the feeling.

As the months have passed, GJerry is still in my cubicle and it seems that we have reached a silent agreement...He now stands happily in my overhead cupboard looking straight out over my head.

He's stopped making trouble as well. As long as I make sure his 3 silk tulips are in place and change his backround scenery once in a while we're good.

3 comments:

AnJ. said...

I do not like gnomes. Their wee-beady, shifty eyes make me nervous. Do your best to keep him happy, you never know when he'll turn on you!

bluestocking23 said...

It's the silent "G" I tell you! 'bout time you got some fun pics up here... ;)

kam said...

Thanks for the laugh!!! oh, and give my best to GJerry.... ;)

You've Gotta Love This!