Thursday, October 16, 2008

I Can Drive BIG Things

Yesterday I had the opportunity to drive one of the Fleet vehicles to deliver a scanner. I had hoped for a minivan with fold down seats—something not too big—imagine my surprise when I was issued the Ford Club Wagon 350 which boasts seating for 12 with cargo space to boot. I was less than thrilled to think of driving this monster out of the parking lot let alone all the way to O-town. I'm a big sissy when it comes to driving anything bigger than my car…on occasion I drive Marge's Escape without incident, but I'm accustom to my little tiny car. So the thought of sailing this beast was almost too much for me.

I had to be to O-town bright and early (8:30am—it was even my choice!) So I got to take the van home overnight. I was scared to drive this bus alone, so Marge offered to follow me all the way home so I would get there in one piece without killing myself or anyone else. After a 5 minute backing job into our driveway the van sat overnight waiting for my upcoming adventure.

Then next morning the van and I travelled to O-town, finished our work and then back to the Fleet garage without incident. I'm always surprised by the hyper-vigilance that goes into driving a vehicle that doesn't belong to me. I was able to maintain proper following distance, stopping time, and even kept my hands at 10 and 2!

And I have to admit I was a little sad not to be driving "My Van" to work this morning…not that I'm going to go out and buy a Club Wagon anytime soon. I'm not quite ready for that step.

2 comments:

z said...

well, your welcome to go drive Big Red anytime you feel the need. Just remember the gas gauge doesnt work so dont go over 180 miles without refilling the tank. It is currently sitting tied to a tree at the parents house.

Unknown said...

I'm glad it's tied to the tree I'd hate for Big Red to wander off.

Recent Ruminations (and those not so recent)

You've Gotta Love This!