When I was a little girl I loved to swing. It didn't matter whether I was at Gailey Park
or on the swing set in my own front yard (I was one of the lucky ones—swings in
my own front yard!) I loved the feeling
of the wind in my hair as I glided back and forth and the power in my legs as I
created my own motion. It didn't matter
to me whether the seat was strong canvas (like the ones at school) or hard blue
plastic like the ones on Grandma’s swing set.
Nothing mattered as long as I could swing.
Every year when the air was touched with the
first twinge of spring (about the time the snowdrops appeared by our front
steps), my best friend Sara and I couldn't resist the pull of the swings; we used
to say we could hear them calling to us.
On sunny afternoons we would rush home from school, drop our school bags,
hug our Moms and rush out again to meet at the corner of 3rd West and
1st South to dash over to the park to spend as much time as we could
filling our lungs with the freshly scented air.
To say we learned valuable lessons as we pumped our legs rhythmically back
and forth, back and forth, back and forth, would be less than truthful, we were
silly girls after all! The pumping was
often accompanied by laughter or just quiet-time as we felt the rays of the sun
on our faces.
At the park we could have free reign of the swings—at school
it seemed the swings were reserved for the bigger kids, perhaps this had
something to do with the fact that they were bigger and faster than us little
kids and made it to the swings before everyone else. I was not uncommon for me
to spend an entire recess (about 15 minutes) swinging myself breathless on the
big swing set beneath the trees that must have been a thousand years (they
seemed at least that old to me!) I loved
riding the teeter-totter swing with my little sister Liz, it was fun to get
going so fast that the swing set would “bump” what a thrill! (back in those
days no one’s swing set was anchored to the ground—it is a wonder I survived
such a dangerous childhood!)
I can recall spring and summer afternoon (even into Junior
High and High School) when some quality time was spent swinging on those familiar
park swings. I even took my nephews and nieces there a time or two to share the
swings with them. Now days the park is not the same, my beloved swings no
longer exist, the swings under the trees at the school have long since been
gone and the playground covered with parking lot. But even as an adult (I’ll be thirty-eight
this year) I can hear the call of the swings if I listen carefully.
No comments:
Post a Comment