Friday, November 7, 2008

If I Had My Druthers

I woke up this morning with the desire to create. What I wouldn't give to plunge my hands into freshly mixed clay to create a masterpiece on a pottery wheel--I'm not a potter, but there's something therapeutic, almost magical in the attempt to mold a shapeless piece of earth into something like a "useful pot". I love to create things, whether it's a slightly lopsided pot or bowl that ends up holding an over-abundance of pencils, or a dainty dress for a little one.

I have no potter's wheel or clay for that matter, though I do have some play-doh, but it's not quite the same thing. Unfortunately, getting a passing grade in Nutrition takes precedence over leisure time. Then there's the grim face of Reality that seems to sop all my time like a biscuit sopping up the last tasty morsel of syrup on a plate.

If I had my druthers today would be the day I would finally set up that art studio in the garage that my flat mate and I dream of having one day--complete with darkroom, plenty of oil paints and space for painting, a pottery wheel, the works...as for Reality, I'd throw it all away and become a creator.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The family already has a creator though...

bluestocking23 said...

But Jess...that won't pay the bills. ;) CRUD (still, I say CRUD.)

You've Gotta Love This!