Thursday, June 4, 2009

Room for a Gnome?

You know it's a bad sign when even your mom comments on the fact that there's never anything new on your blog. So here's what's on my mind today...

I have this recurring dream that I'm getting married--should be a good dream, right? But it's not...the wedding (or rather the events leading up to it are always a fiasco -- the gown is never ready (or even one I'd actually wear, I rarely have a veil (last time I tried to convince Toby that it would be okay if I made a veil from the toile curtains in the dressing room, and the groom is either a complete unknown or nowhere to be found. Sounds like underlying commitment issues--at least that's what I recall Scratz dream book saying, something along those lines.

Maybe those commitment issues come from the fact that I need to commit to a man in my life -- a little smiling man made of resin who will watch over my flower garden -- yes, folks, a lawn gnome.

As many of you know I have a sort of love/hate relationship with lawn gnomes (remember Gjerry). Now that I've got a well-established yard I'd like to find the perfect gnome to live in the back yard. Let's face it some gnomes are just downright creepy. I've been looking fro a while now and I've seen several contenders that I would approve of...

#1 - the travelocity gnome... very cute, and not at all creepy. Sticker price $69.99 not including taxes and shipping. (even on ebay)

#2 - the Robert's craft gnome -- very cute, painted in muted shades, kind of stone looking with a nice little lantern. Sticker Price $70.00 (ack!)

#3 - the Smith's Marketplace gnome -- a very traditional looking gnome, although not as menacing as some I've seen, nor too whimsical -- even at 40% off he was still $40.00.

I guess I need to decide what my gnome commitment level is. I like gnomes, but why are they so pricey? Could I really commit to a gnome that I didn't really love? This is my dilemma. I need some serious help.

4 comments:

Ambo said...

You can always get stuff at Roberts for 40 or 50% off! Good luck!

bluestocking23 said...

Yes, it's your yard too but this is definitely one decision that must be mutual. We must both think long and hard before a gnome comes to our home. It's a precarious choice...

And I was just about ready to delete your blog... ;)

AnJ. said...

I LOVE the travelocity gnome- and I hate gnomes. Start saving your pennies. :)

M.O.M. said...

I used to have a darling gnome with a lantern that glowed at night. Or his lantern would glow when I remembered his batteries. Anyway, he lived contentedly under my tree for a couple of years before he apparently decided he wanted to leave. :(

You've Gotta Love This!