When I'm home alone I like to watch the Discovery Health Channel. I tend to get sucked into watching shows about babies being born--I can't explain it, the whole thing fascinates me. One night I was watching a series about afamily that had quintuplets and Marges commented on the fact that these people got to use all of the names they ever wanted to use in one blow...so that along with the upcoming birth of sobrino #10, has got me thinking about the name game.
My oldest sister is having a baby this summer and she and her husband are trying to decide on a name for the little one who will be joining the crew (we're all crossing our fingers for a girl because as far as mi sobrinos (that's Spanish for nieces and nephews for those of you non-bilingual readers) go the guys grossly outnumber the girls 7-2. Not to mention it's been a really long time since I was able to buy something tiny, pink and frilly for anyone.
She's started taking suggestions for baby names and I have to admit that I've contributed more than my fair share, though I have reserved some of the more particular names for myself in the eventuality of my marrying and bearing children...I'd like there to still be some good names left.
Now my two bits:
I understand that names are not copyrighted unless you're the artist formerly known as Prince or Madonna or any other famous one-name (or symbol) artist--like Cher, for example. But it can get a little confusing when you have two people in the family with the same name...So in an effort not to have more than one Ruby Jane in the immediate family I have decided not to offer up my most favorite names for general consumption...
Then there's the off chance that the name just doesn't fit and then what do you do??? You can't name your baby Owen (another name NOT up for grabs) in good faith he's just not an Owen, so it's probably good to have a few names on the back burner just in case...like Caleb or Joshua.
Have you ever met someone whose name just didn't work for them? I once dated a fairly cute fellow named "Jerry" (no lie, his name was Jerry). He was a great guy but I could never bring myself to say his name out loud for fear it would come out with an attached nasal accent or something (I could hear George Kastansa's mother in my head). I'm mean really, could I take a man named Jerry seriously? If his name had been Matt I might have been more heartbroken when he stopped calling.
Parents name their children based on an ultrasound that says it's a boy or a girl. Names are tossed around for months, sometimes even years (after all what girl who survived her teenage years doesn't have a list of ideal baby names--sometimes complete with the surnames the fit best with based on the crush of the month).
I am VERY traditional when it comes to names. There are those who name their baby something traditional like Lucy but to be unique they spell it "Loosee" just to be different. This is a trend I do not choose to understand or embrace. Then there are names that aren't even names at all, like Diesel or Talon--in my opinion these are things not names.
That is all I have to say.
an eclectic smattering of the comings and goings of a vivacious, stunning, elegant, beautiful, witty, amazing, talented, brilliant, glamorous, distinguished, fabulous, pesky, cute, trendy, magnanimous and most recently--INDOMITABLE, 30-something-year-old woman as she explores the many splendored things offered by a very strange world.
Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Recent Ruminations (and those not so recent)
You've Gotta Love This!
Fun ways to waste your time...
- Amazing Magic Gopher
- American History Timeline
- American Memory (Library of Congress)
- Chronicling America (Library of Congress)
- Etsy
- Grand Ole Opry
- Kidz World
- Mr. Picassohead
- Page by Page Books
- Panda Cam (National Zoo, Washington, DC)
- Star Wars Shop
- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
- Volcano Cam (Mount St. Helens, Washington)
- Wordles
11 comments:
All of my teenage girl fanticy names have been vetoed. I don't get a Benjamin of a Jack or a Margarett...
Remember when the oldest sister had her baby names written on the wall abover her bed on that seafoam green wall paper.
Hooray! Now this was worth waiting for...and don't worry, I solemnly promise that I will never steal Ruby Jane or Owen...even if I get the chance.
Good to have you back.
I will never understand the odd names people give their children.
In our primary there is a family with somewhat regular names that have been spelled in the most crazy and annoying ways.
Jentzen, Truleigh, Mikael and my personal favorite Kohle (Cole)
This is so RUDE!! These kids are going to spend their whole lives explaining how to either say their names or spell them.
It's not right! That is all.
I think some of these fancy names will be "lame" in a few years. When you name a kid, people need to remember its the same name the poor thing will have as a grown up and much later when they live in the nursing home. The staff just might have to laugh!
just my opinion, but I don't think Talon is such a bad name. Next thing I know you're going to tell me that Justice and Souske are bad names too... :)
I think Timber is a nice, sturdy boys name, and for the ladies... how about Dainty? Unless of course she ends up 6' 4" then I guess you blew it...
Sorry however I just can't help but comment that Timber would be the opposite of a sturdy name. Wouldn't you rather choose rock?
z has told me that he is not a fan of the choice of names for my kiddies. Oh well.
What I really wanted to comment here is that you forgot to mention all the verb names.
In all seriousness I think that the name is more important to the parent than anyone else so it doesn't matter if they choose a name that others don't like. Anyway, z and I picked out Ginger, what do you think??
So far I feel like we have given our girls some plain ol' names (Beautiful...but admittedly not original). That's the way I like it ;). Funny post!!
I know a boy named Brick, that's sturdy!
OK, I have to comment on this one. This are all names of people I went to school with or have lived in their ward. If you don't believe me, I can show them to you in my yearbook (assuming I can find it)
Rusty Ford
Rusty Cannon
Martial Arts (yes, spelled like that)
And my personal favorite... Ben Dover. :o)
We won't even talk about Lemonjello or Orangejello...
Post a Comment