Saturday, August 20, 2011

I Could Have Told You Vincent the World was Never Meant for One as Beautiful as You

For longer than I can remember I've had a poster print of "Starry night" hanging somewhere in my house, years ago it hung in my bedroom, now it hangs in the hall. I'd love to upgrade it to a nicer quality print but haven't found. Now I'm afraid any print wouldn't do it the justice it deserves.

The highlight of my day in London was seeing a "real Live" Van Gogh up close and personal and I am nearly without words to describe how amazing it was. For as long as I can remember I've loved Vincent Van Gogh there's something about his life and his paintings that speaks to me. Today I came face to face with him in the shape of his masterpiece "Sunflowers".

All I can say is WOW.

I found myself standing 3 feet away from this painting marveling at the paint strokes and the numerous layers and shapes that went into creating a real work of art. There it was hanging in front of me in Room 45 of the National Gallery on a lovely purplish, grayish wall -- I've not quite decided what color the wall was, but even the wall was beautiful. It spoke to my heart and made me happy. Maybe it's because I don't have that particular gift, or maybe it's something entirely different, but there's just something unexplainable about seeing the real deal.

I stood for a few moments watching a young lady sketching the painting in her sketchbook and was more than a little envious of the thought of sitting there long enough to somehow make it my own. It was amazed at the number of people gathered around the painting taking in the strokes and the colors, but I had to wonder for how many of them was it actually an experience as opposed to something to do on a rainy afternoon?

For me, it was an experience.

The only thing missing...my very best friend.

1 comment:

kam said...

I LOVED reading your travel posts! How fun! I hope someday to see all the beautiful things you've described. It sounds like a wonderful, amazing trip!!! :) You deserve it. :)

Recent Ruminations (and those not so recent)

You've Gotta Love This!