We rode the rain in from Stanford -le-Hope, Essex and landed at Fenchurch Street Station. I had conceded already that I likely wouldn't see much with my aged parents in tow (both are in their 70's after all) but had told myself that whatever I saw it would still be more of London than I'd seen before today...so with that Attitude I went.
My cute Auntie and Uncle spent last evening trying to map out the best route that would include as much bus travel as possible to save the parents from having to do too much walking. I had given her a preliminary list of the things I'd like to see, but again, realized it was likely not to happen...but enough of the back story.
Once we landed at Fenchurch station we walked a couple of blocks to "The Monument". If you don't know what "the Monument" is, don't feel bad, neither did I until a few days ago (which here leads to my title tie in). Back in the year 1666 there was a great fire in London and this fellow Samuel Pepys (pronounced Peeps, like the easter treats) wrote an entire history about it (yes,I'm a nerdy English major). The monument was built to commemorate the event. It's very tall -- without digging out my paper I can't tell you the exact dimensions, but let's just say it has a tight, winding staircase that ascends for a celebrated 311 steps (something to do with distance and where the fire started -- like I said I don't have my paper right here.) So for 3 quid I got to climb all 311 steps up to the top where they have a little lookout area where you can get a pretty good view of the city...the Monument was built in the late 1700's so Im sure back then it was a magnificent view! It was pretty cool...although I have to admit by the time I reached the 100th step (yes, Toby I counted them all) I was about ready to die from exhaustion! But it was worth it! When we (my uncle Alan and I) got back to the bottom they gave a a certificate that basically says I survived climbing the monument. What a fun way to start the day!
After the Monument we wandered over to the Tower of London (and yes Norm, the ravens were still there). I saw a few Beefeaters and laughed a bit at their outfits (I seriously thought they were kidding -- um no, that's what they wear everyday!) Next on our agenda was the London Eye, so Mary trotted us off to find the nearest bus heading that way -- this is where we encountered our first hiccup. Mom didn't want to go on the Eye, and Dad had never said one way or another. So we got off the bus at the Festival Hall to use the Loo and discovered Dad did want to go on the Eye after all, but mom's afraid of heights. About that time it started to rain and Mary had checked the queue and it was at least a half hour long or more, and I wasn't about to leave mom sitting in the rain for what could have been 2 hours time (sorry, not happening).
So we skipped the Eye and walked in the rain for a bit to find a bus (by this time it was litterally pouring). We waited in the rain for a bit till we caught the bus to Trafalgar Square. And sought sanctuary in the National Gallery (and sanctuary it was). Mary and Alan were going to go the the Cafe for a coffee, and Dad decided to go along (he was thirsty). I had hoped Mom would go too so I could go enjoy the gallery on my own terms...but Mom decided to come along and I have to admit it was nice to have her there. She doesn't get to do a lot of things so she walked along with me and we took in the atmosphere together. It was pretty neat to share that with here. Her Idaho farm girl roots and life as a stay at home mom for the last 40 years haven't given her a whole lot of opportunities. So she got a cultured today -- we even spent time looking at a brilliant painting of a horse just for her (okay, not really just for her -- it really was brilliant!) I think she may have enjoyed herself -- which is saying something, she's more of a homebody than me so this trip has been a real stretch for her---she's way out of her comfort zone. We saw some really beautiful paintings and could have spent days, if not weeks looking at everything in the gallery, but we only had 2 hours and that include gift shop time, so I contented myself with the Impressionists and a few Italian and French artists on the first level -- we saw maybe 9 rooms worth of paintings and there are something like 68, not including the special exhibits! You could spend an entire week just wandering the museum and not see everything! Mom had a smashing time in the Gift shop -- we both bought postcards galore and sundry other trinkets to remember our visit.
By the time we came out of the National Gallery the sun had come out and it was a BEAUTIFUL day (I think I may have got even a little sunburn). It was decided we'd go to McDonald's on "The Strand" for a very late lunch. Mind you it was a posh McDonald's with double decker seating and the Cadbury Flake McFlurry I had was pretty good, but nothing to write home about.
After lunch we wandered towards Covent Garden to take in the atmosphere there and even I decided my back and legs had been used enough for the day and that I'd echo the cries of the parent's and call it a day. (if you're an Art lover and you've ever spent any time in a museum you know what I mean.)
So we tracked down the right bus, after wandering past a few of the grand theaters. We saw where the Lion King, Betty Blue Eyes, Shrek and Legally Blonde were playing. I also saw a couple of adverts for a few I'd never heard of "Love never Dies" which is a sequel to Phantom of the Opera (not sure how that works, but okay) and apparently they've made a musical of the movie "Ghost" (not sure how that works either).
Long story short. We found the right bus and made our way back to the Train Station. We were all pretty worn out. But I have to admit it was a lovely day!
No comments:
Post a Comment