I LOVE the 4th of July. One of the things I love most about this holiday is the time I get to spend with the family. Here's a bit of the typical celebration:
PARADE: As a kid I loved going to the parade, there were floats, clowns, kids on bicycles, all in all a bucnh of people happy about celebrating the fact they live in America. The past few years haven't been the same. The parade, now consists of the myriads of fire trucks from several cities that the tax-payers have financed over the past year, the high school marching band (which by the way played no patriotic songs (though the were playing "Saturday in the Park" by Chicago, which must be legal since it mentions the 4th of July). Then there's the caravan of VW beetles. Don't get me wrong, I love a good VW, but there's some think a little odd about having foreign made cars in a Fourth of July celebration. Now it's pretty much torture to sit in the blazing heat watching the kids fight over candy and waiting for the fire trucks to come along at the end of the parade to douse the remaining crowd with water. It's just not the same when you grow up. I wish I could go back in time to the way the Fourth used to be celebrated.
FOOD: Typically Mom makes a potato salad and some kind of Jello, be it strawberry with banana slices, or the perennial favorite, green with pineapple. Sometimes the oldest Brother grills burgers and franks and we enjoy a tasty meal while watching the Annual Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest. Always a treat to watch people shove food down their throats at mach-speed, however you've got to watch out for those "reversals." http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gpMMONryOCpjEI1RB4O6Jrfx4n_QD91N9UH01
FIREWORKS: In my ideal world there would be fireworks everynight (like at Disneyland).
PARADE: As a kid I loved going to the parade, there were floats, clowns, kids on bicycles, all in all a bucnh of people happy about celebrating the fact they live in America. The past few years haven't been the same. The parade, now consists of the myriads of fire trucks from several cities that the tax-payers have financed over the past year, the high school marching band (which by the way played no patriotic songs (though the were playing "Saturday in the Park" by Chicago, which must be legal since it mentions the 4th of July). Then there's the caravan of VW beetles. Don't get me wrong, I love a good VW, but there's some think a little odd about having foreign made cars in a Fourth of July celebration. Now it's pretty much torture to sit in the blazing heat watching the kids fight over candy and waiting for the fire trucks to come along at the end of the parade to douse the remaining crowd with water. It's just not the same when you grow up. I wish I could go back in time to the way the Fourth used to be celebrated.
FOOD: Typically Mom makes a potato salad and some kind of Jello, be it strawberry with banana slices, or the perennial favorite, green with pineapple. Sometimes the oldest Brother grills burgers and franks and we enjoy a tasty meal while watching the Annual Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest. Always a treat to watch people shove food down their throats at mach-speed, however you've got to watch out for those "reversals." http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gpMMONryOCpjEI1RB4O6Jrfx4n_QD91N9UH01
FIREWORKS: In my ideal world there would be fireworks everynight (like at Disneyland).
No comments:
Post a Comment