Friday, August 17, 2007

Road Trippin'


Last month I went to Cheyenne, Wyoming for the second time in less than a year. This visit was for recreational purposes, the last was for work (teaching at a genealogical conference).

What, you might ask is there to do in Cheyenne and why would anyone in their right mind want to go there in the middle of July?

Each July Cheyenne hosts what they like to call the "Daddy of 'em All" -- a week long rodeo/county fair -- and this year performing as part of their nightly concert series they featured among others acts Reba McEntire with special guest Trisha Yearwood (two of my all-time favorite female artists). They also had Bon Jovi, but that's another issue entirely.

A lady I work with sent me an email to let me know that Reba was coming to Cheyenne and knowing Toby's love for Reba (she and I attended the Stadium of Fire the year Reba came) I had to tell her...so I did and to make a long story short the two of us decided we'd make the trip (as sort of a early birthday party for yours truly). So we bought the tickets, hopped in the aptly named Escape and drove 600 miles to see the show.

Having made the trip thrice before (including the aforementioned work trip, an ill-fated trip to Denver and a family exodus to Hays, Kansas) I knew there was nothing much to see along the way, except for a line of windmills, the Little America resort (complete with posh potties, wooden penguins on the rooftops and 50 cent ice cream cones) and the giant bust of Abe Lincoln that towers over the highway somewhere between Rawlins and Cheyenne.

However, it was a very fun road trip. Especially considering the fact that the concert date corresponded directly with the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows which I read out loud the entire car ride (there and back again).

Reba & Trisha were fabulous, they each sang most of their best (and my favorite) songs. I had a really great time and wouldn't mind doing it again sometime.

6 comments:

kam said...

It looks like you had a fantastic trip!!! Good for you both! You know you gals should do that more often. Although, your Thelma and Louise needs a third wheel -"Betty"...I could SOOO be Betty!!! ;) ;)

Jessica Pears said...

That could be arranged. :)

Jessica Pears said...

Only you can't drive. Sorry.

kam said...

hey now..... ;0

Jessica Pears said...

But then again...it's not like Thelma and Louise actually had a planned destination...so you could drive.

bluestocking23 said...

Hee hee...I say, let Betty drive and see where it gets us. Who wouldn't want a Betty along? :)

Recent Ruminations (and those not so recent)

You've Gotta Love This!