Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Definitely NOT Business As Usual

As some of you know I get the opportunity to travel from time to time with my job. It's usually to far off exotic places like Mesa, Arizona or Cheyenne, Wyoming which while they are fun to visit there's no real appeal to going there, especially for work. As it usually happens, you get on a plane or in a car, arrive at your location to do your job and then return home the same way you came. On occasion I get to go somewhere good, like St. George in the winter or Seattle, Washington (which is right next door to my leetles) but those times are few and far between.

On Monday I went to a business lunch with the my bosses and the distributor of one of the scanners we use to get books ready to go online. During the course of the meal (no pun intended) we learned that someone could be easily trained to learn to fix the machine and avoid a yearly maintenance contract. My boss has great faith in my abilities (though sometimes I think he's a little nuts). By the end of the lunch my boss had given me the thumbs up for a trip to France (that's where the machines are made). Bordeaux, France. here I'm sitting thinking, WHAT THE HECK!!!!

I'm still reeling and can't quite believe it. I've been assured that it's pretty much a done deal, we just have to wait on passports and the factory in France to let us know when we can come.

Yesterday I applied for my very first passport, which was pretty exciting, but I don't think it will really sink in until I have the tickets in my hand. I hate to get my hopes up, just in case...after all I never did get that trip to Fort Wayne, Indiana last fall (though I'm sure France would be a lot more disappointing if it doesn't pan out).

Please keep it won't be all fun and games (only some if it), there will be work involved. I will be visiting Paris (on my own dime, of course) with Toby, as she has decided to do all in her power to come along with me. I'd do the same if the situation were reversed.

For those of you who are bound to feel some jealousy, make sure I have your address and I'll send you a genuine French Postcard with a genuine French Stamp.

What the Heck!
I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

princess.evans said...

wow - I'm jealous. I wish my work would pay to send me somewhere cool.

kam said...

I am so excited for you! I hope it all comes together and you have a magical time in...PARIS!!!!! AHHH, that is SO COOL!!

Ambo said...

Yea for you! That would be so fun!

Recent Ruminations (and those not so recent)

You've Gotta Love This!