Friday, January 4, 2008

Relax, Sit Still, and Breathe

I've decided that the best thing I could do for myself in 2008 would be to learn 3 things:

Relax: In recent past this word has been hard to locate in my vocabulary. When somebody asks me "what do you do to relax?" I often give them a quizzical look and dodge the question. When asked what I like I have been known to respond by saying something like "I like plants." (true story). I'm also a worry-wart and am always thinking about might happen next. Tobz often says to me, in the midst of a worry session, "or a toilet could fall out of the sky and hit you on the head." So, needless to say, learning to relax and maybe even have a little fun in the process might go a long way.

Sit Still: I think this idea goes hand in hand with relaxing, sort of... I've discovered that just sitting still can make a big difference (though I rarely do it). I was genetically gifted with a "wiggly leg" so it is virtually impossible for me to sit still without making a concentrated effort. The other night as I was watching "Wheel of Fortune" I sat myself on the floor in a pseudo-yoga position (legs crossed, arms over my head with palms together) and I just sat there for about 20 minutes. I've tried yoga videos before but they always have really soothing music and I end up so relaxed I want to go right to sleep...so I've invented Wheel of Fortune yoga -- it's great! (which reminds me...who knew Pat Sajak had a twin)

Breathe: Most people take this one or granted, but sometimes I forget to breathe. Perhaps its the tendency to procrastinate almost everything or a combination of the aforementioned issues that are at the root of this bizarre phenomenon. When I was in 5th grade Mrs. Smith, a prehistoric educator, used to teach us health in the afternoons and I remember one lesson where she talked to us about how our bodies do things automatically, for instance we don't have to tell our hearts to beat or our lungs to breathe...turns out, she lied. (i probably should have never trusted a woman who would beg rolls off of student's in the lunch room). Somewhere in the 30+ years of my existence I have forgotten how to breathe. I intended to remember how.

Maybe if I can master these 3 simple things my life will be so much more (in the good ways) and less in the bad ways.

And maybe my hair will stop falling out...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I too often have to remind myself to breathe. My inhaler is helpful in that category.

and... Mrs. Smith was ancient. In 5th grade for one of my art projects I created Mrs. Smith Repellant. Mr. Law thought it was kind of funny, but Mrs. Smith did not.

AnJ. said...

What fabulous ideas! Mind if I steal them?

Everytime I do yoga with Clint we end up sacked out on the floor. :)

Ambo said...

Haha! Loved this, and good luck to you!

bluestocking23 said...

You are a funny, funny girl. Kudos to you on a real kind of a posting. Good one.

And for the record - Pat Sajack (or however you spell it) is the most annoying person alive. I sure hope that wasn't a real twin!

Recent Ruminations (and those not so recent)

You've Gotta Love This!