Monday, December 10, 2007

Strange Things are Afoot or Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

On Tuesday, Toby noticed a weird spot on my head, which kind of looked like my usual part was just "off" a bit. I didn't think much about it at the time since my crazy curly hair has a mind of its own. I chalked it up to the way it had dried that morning.

On Wednesday, I stopped in at the parent's house after class and my mom commented on the fact I had a bald spot on my head.

On Thursday I noticed the spot for the first time...and it really freaked me out. It looked like my part has expanded about a half inch on both side in a sort of heart-shaped spot. Let me state for the record, it's really creepy to discover your hair is gone...I'm pretty sure I would have remembered that much hair coming out in the hair brush or as I washed my hair.

As you can imagine, upon my discovery of the spot almost instantaneously my mind start thinking the worst, is it cancer, leukemia or some other deadly disease...do I only have 6 months to live...what...?

I was scared enough that it wasn't hard for Toby to convince that I should get it checked out. So I called and got a doctor's appointment for Friday morning, which freaked me out even more, having not been to the doctor for a physical in ten years (yes-ten years). So, to make a long story short, I went to the doctor and she explained what was happening to my hair--apparently my immune system has decided that my hair is its enemy -- it could be a symptom of diabetes or thyroid issues so I had my blood drawn to see if there's something strange going on inside.

I found an article on the web that explains it a lot better than I can.

You can only imagine my delight at the potential prospect of having a "poltergeist" (a word here used to mean a white patch of hair in an otherwise normal head of hair.)

So until further developments I get to figure out how to live with a bald spot the size of a nickel on the top of my head. I think I'll start by only talking to people who are not taller than I am.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

nice. I get fat, and you lose your hair. I love these pre-diabetic/Thyroid issues!

and I'm glad that you can continue talking to me because I am shorter then you.

Anonymous said...

That sucks bad!! I'm sure you've heard before but vitamin B12 is good for hair. My sister had a bunch of hair fall out when we were kids. I don't remember but it seems she had a fungus or some weirdness. Anyway, my real point is I remember the Dr. told my mom to massage her head. Just an idea.

AnJ. said...

Wishing you luck on your blood tests. Waiting is the worst. Maybe you having courage to go get a physical will inspire Clint. But probably not.
I think I'm a little bit taller than you but I will gladly duck down anyday. :)

kam said...

That's strange! I hope the tests all come back normal. Keep us posted. You are in my thoughts. In the mean time, you may want to rethink only talking to people shorter then you....the list of people in that category is kinda small ;) ;)

M.O.M. said...

I know some body who had that problem. I cannot remember what they called it though. if I remember they put him on some meds because it was an immune thing and not something diabetic or what not. Keep us posted.

Unknown said...

TAG!! You are it.

Please see my blog for details:

http://peartree4000.blogspot.com/2007/12/tag.html

Ambo said...

Dont read stuff off the internet! That is a no no, and only freaks you out worse! :)

Recent Ruminations (and those not so recent)

You've Gotta Love This!