3:17 PM Eastern Standard Time
Right now I am sitting in an uncomfortable chair in Concourse A of the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky airport. I am waiting for my connecting flight to my final destination--Fort Wayne Indiana. I will be spending the greater part of the week there at the Allen County Public Library training our volunteer staff.
A man across from me looks a lot like Congressman Nathan Petrelli, though it could just be the glare from the windows affecting my vision. For the record, Ohio is a pretty state. It reminds me a lot of Tennessee. The view from above was amazing. I love seeing nothing but trees as far as the eye can see, broken up only by the meandering Ohio River or massive acreage of open fields. I love looking out the windows of the airport and seeing green!
Those of you who have flown have perhaps witnessed the following phenomenon....I was seated fairly far back on the plane, window seat over the wing (I need to figure out which row isn't right over the wing due to the fact it conjure memories of that Twilight Zone episode with William Shatner and the gremlin on the plane that only he can see...but that's another story. So here I am seated, as the plane pulls into the gate. People immediately jump up, grab their carry-on luggage and then they wait...and wait...and wait...for at least ten minutes (at least it feels that way) for the line to moves so they can get out. It’s just funny to watch these people who are in such a rush to get where they're going, only to find themselves stuck.
Then there are the cell phones...as soon as the plane lands a hundred phones beep into life. Can you honestly tell me that these people's lives couldn't take a break for a 3 hour flight? Seriously.
And did you know that Cincinnati is the city where pigs can fly? I kid you not...pictures to follow (if only I hadn't left my camera cord at home.)
6:54 PM Eastern Standard Time:
Now I am sitting in my hotel room in downtown Fort Wayne, Indiana--trying to decide what to have room service bring me for dinner...
Let me fill you in on the second leg of the journey. Boarding the flight to Indiana I had my first opportunity to walk across a tarmac--no Jetway tunnels here...The flight from Cincinnati to Fort Wayne literally took 45 minutes from start to finish...I had just enough time to peruse the Sky Mall catalog before "de-planeing" The plane I rode on was very small. There were 13 rows of seats, 3 seats wide...for a grand total of 39 passengers. My very small carry-on back was too large for the overhead bins, so it had to be stowed under the plane. Wow.
As for the Fort Wayne airport -- I kid you not, it's roughly the size of Davis High. They have one terminal, a small gift shop, a flying elephant and not much else. Did I mention the fact that they hand you a welcome cookie as you exit the concourse on your way to baggage claim. These are the times you wish you had your camera out and at the ready. Can you honestly say you believe me when I say they have the equivalent of a Wal-mart greeter welcoming you to Fort Wayne who hands you your own individually wrapped treat. Amazing stuff!
From what I've seen so far Fort Wayne has a total of 3 skyscrapers and 3 giant churches. I'll have to explore more tomorrow to see what I can see.
Stay tuned...
an eclectic smattering of the comings and goings of a vivacious, stunning, elegant, beautiful, witty, amazing, talented, brilliant, glamorous, distinguished, fabulous, pesky, cute, trendy, magnanimous and most recently--INDOMITABLE, 30-something-year-old woman as she explores the many splendored things offered by a very strange world.
Monday, May 5, 2008
The Adventures of Bebo's Girl - Part 1
Labels:
About Me,
Music,
The Adventures of Adventure Girl,
Travel
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Recent Ruminations (and those not so recent)
You've Gotta Love This!
Fun ways to waste your time...
- Amazing Magic Gopher
- American History Timeline
- American Memory (Library of Congress)
- Chronicling America (Library of Congress)
- Etsy
- Grand Ole Opry
- Kidz World
- Mr. Picassohead
- Page by Page Books
- Panda Cam (National Zoo, Washington, DC)
- Star Wars Shop
- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
- Volcano Cam (Mount St. Helens, Washington)
- Wordles
2 comments:
Sounds like fun to get away. Funny how airplane rides are both fun and exciting as well as boring and cramped. I hope you have fun out there (even though it's a business trip)!
Who doesn't love a good travelog??? LOL.
Post a Comment